Saturday, April 20, 2013

Obligatory Classwork Post

Here are the powerpoints I've made in the duration on this class. There was definitely a learning curve to be found in the creation of both of these. I have considerable experience in making powerpoints, and in giving powerpoint presentation, but never in the creation of powerpoints that would have to be simply read, not presented. This proved a challenge since I am naturally very verbose in presentations, but all of my training in powerpoint etiquette rebelled at the idea of having immensely thick blocks of text. As you can clearly see, it took some time for me to find a balance in getting my point across and being properly succinct. All in all it is excellent practice for future paper writing I feel.

This first presentation in on what was called a "technology chronology" or the timeline of events that lead to modern library technological systems. We were given a great deal of leeway in format for this but I defaulted to powerpoint. It was the only program that would properly combine the minimalist style I prefer with the visual impact the professor was looking for.  I must confess here that I feel the first slide is the weakest link in this chain of events. I'm not sure if I picked those two events for how truly effective they were or if it was the unconscious byproduct of the fact I've been looking for a venue to discuss Lovelace for a while. Also, I had just recently discovered the vectoring abilities of powerpoint so bear with them. I however managed to snag a decent grade so go me!















I much prefer this presentation to the first, though that might just be because I think it's more attractive over all. Then there is also the fact that the very instructions told us to simplify a technology to the point of almost idiot-proofing, which was amusing to write. I have to treat rowdy freshmen like proper adults all day at work so it was refreshing to talk at their level for once. As for the directions I wasn't sure if I was supposed to tell them how to use the technology or how the technology works, but I figured that the former was far more practical. You can still see parts of the first incarnation of this presentation when I went with the latter interpretation. I suppose we'll see which one I was supposed to do when I get that grade back. Also, more fun with vectors! I made those CD and DVD security case transparencies myself. I'm quite proud of me.















I'm still unhappy with that last slide. I couldn't think of a visually appealing way to tie it all in really that was more "creative" than my usual work, since that was the major comment on the last powerpoint I did. I had wanted to create a scrolling textbox -- which is to say textbox that rolls like the credits of a movie -- but I want the links to remain accessible and didn't want to bog down the presentation. Maybe next time. Any ideas on how I should improve my work?

2 comments:

  1. Great presentation! I think you did an excellent job of explaining your topic in an understandable way without leaving out any key points. Regarding Blu-ray, do you think it will completely phase out DVDs? Just thinking about having to replace all of my DVDs with Blu-ray makes me a bit queasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely don't think Bluray will phase out DVDs; I mean unless you're a techhead you might not even notice the difference except the jumped up price. It's not like the jump from VHS to DVD or even Betamax to VHS. Blurays can only be really spectacularly different if you have the perfect storm of tech, a Bluray player, an HDMI cord, and a high enough qaulity television to notice the difference. I feel a lot of people will have two out of three and not realise they need all three to reap the Bluray benefits. My roommate was thoroughly unimpressed by Bluray before I realized she'd never used the HDMI cord. There will probably always be a market for DVD for their price alone. I do think less "special" discs will come out on DVD though. For example, the "Phase One" collection of Marvel movies was only available in Bluray and it's video features were entirely unique to the collection.

      Delete