Thursday, April 4, 2013

Non-RFID Library Post

I found something on a friend's personal blog that I thought would be fun to share.

In unrelated news, one of the most difficult parts of this blog so far is finding RFID sources that focus on library usage. Apparently there is a big hullabaloo going on about RFID tagging people but it's not entirely relevant to this blog...unless perhaps we discuss RFID tagging patrons. It would make check outs smoother certainly, since patrons wouldn't have to do that awkward fumble for their library card, and it would cut out on "lost" cards and people using another person's card. I do not endorse RFID tagging people in general, more because it would not be well received by most people, but it's an interesting thought.

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry too much about finding sources that relate only to library usage of RFID. The topic as a whole is of interest to the library community! :) Maybe you could take the posts you find and, in your blog, reflect on how the technologies/topics discussed could apply to a library environment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you are breaking down each step of RFID. I think I might be able to explain it to someone. I have heard how some complain that RFID technology could be a violation of privacy. I was wondering if something like that would be cost effective. Perhaps that's why they have yet to find their way into libraries. I'm going to go google costs. Neat Topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd also really like to know more about RFID (related or not to libraries). I can't imagine RFID tagging people going over very well with anyone, even though anyone who carries a cell phone is basically GPS traceable at any point!

    -Maryska

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that their right to privacy is something that patrons rarely think about while in the library, but I believe you are correct; patrons would probably find the tagging quite disagreeable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read the ALA's take on "perceived invasion of patron privacy" yet? (http://www.ala.org/pla/tools/technotes/rfidtechnology) We are currently looking at upgrading to RFID at SGRL if we can secure the funding. I know that Thomasville has sent out RFPs and that so far EnvisionWare has sent in an estimate. I was blown away at the cost of implementation. In the link above the ALA states that for a collection of 100K items plan to spent around $100K to implement. I think SGRL has around 200K materials at the main branch...yikes!

    ReplyDelete