Friday, March 1, 2013

Perhaps The Furlings Were Librarians?

I was looking for more fun videos to add to my blog and lo and behold I found one! This one showcases some of the technology involved in an RFID system, some of which I've talked about before such as the security sensors, some I've not mentioned such as hand-held RFID readers which this video makes look like a Star Trek-esque scanner. Maybe that's just the device or maybe this man was genuinely looking for life signs, who knows. Regardless, this is the best soundtrack to date.


2 comments:

  1. I have heard of RFID technology being used to keep tabs on entire collections. This would certainly make collection management easier. I used to work in an academic library as an undergrad and I remember the most frustrating problem was trying to find a misplaced book. If you could track a particular book by its RFID tag, it would be much easier to find the book in question. Plus, you wouldn't look like an idiot in front of a patron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on how strong the signal the tag is equipped to give, I think. The more expensive ones are more accurate to that point. I can imagine the issue misplaced books create in an academic library. It seems like every time I go to Odum in Valdosta there's at least two stacks of texts ferreted away in some lonely corner desk, not being used and not being reshelved. On the up side, since academic libraries tend to be better funded, perhaps more and more can spare such expense.

      Delete